Waterman: Student dies in ‘tragic accident’

Lonnroth, Lars (505022)

The image and caption that ran with the post on LT’s website regarding Hayden Miles’ death.

Lars Lonnroth, Assistant News Editor

LT student Hayden Miles ‘21 was killed Monday evening in what LT Principal Brian Waterman called a “tragic accident,” according to a Tuesday morning email to school staff.

At around 7:50 p.m. Monday evening, police were called to the pedestrian crossing west of Central Avenue in Western Springs, the Patch reports, as a result of a pedestrian being struck by a freight train. 

“It is with a heavy heart that we inform you of the death of LT South Campus student, Hayden C. Miles, at the age of 15,” Waterman’s email said. “Our hearts and thoughts go out to Hayden’s family, friends, classmates, and teachers.”

The LION reached out to the Western Springs Police Department for further information regarding the incident, but they did not respond by press time.

As is usually the case when a current student dies, LT deployed the Crisis Response Team to respond and assist students impacted by Miles’ death, Waterman’s email said. A guidance counselor was sent to each of Miles’ classes, with additional resources being available at both the SC Library and NC Counseling Office.

The administration posted on the LTHS website information regarding the incident and offered additional resources to help assist in grieving process.