Sparks fly in light-hearted winter show, Almost, Maine

Taylor Schmitt, Reporter

The LTHS Theatre Board will present “Almost, Maine” in the Reber Center at NC on Dec. 8 and 9 at 7 p.m. The show consists of nine scenes that all take place at the same time in the same town- the name of which is Almost, Maine.

“It’s adorable,” director Mike Kuehl said. “There’s a blend of whimsy and realism that makes it very unique. It also shows real relationships with totally fantastical sides.”

The show, which runs for an hour with no intermission, features characters falling in and out of love, the press release said. They range from a married couple to several friends discovering new and interesting sides of relationships.

“There is something for someone on every level in every single scene,” Kuehl said. “It’s also very relatable play because audiences can connect with all of these characters and situations in some way. It’s good to forget about life for an hour and 25 minutes.”

Almost, Maine is the most-performed play by high schools this year, Kuehl said.

“It’s very easy to rehearse because of the way it is broken down into individual scenes,” Kuehl said. “I love the dialogue of this play and the way that it is written. The playwright wrote in overlapping lines that give the conversations a more authentic feel. Also, there are parts that are practically poetic.”

Tickets are $10 for adults, and $5 for seniors and children. Admission is free with a student ID.