Student Council holds blood drive

Taylor Schmitt, Reporter

The LT Student Council planned to hold its first blood drive of the year in the Vaughan Gym on Oct. 25. Students had to be at least 16 years old and needed to receive a parent’s permission to participate if they were under 17.

“You are saving multiple lives when you donate blood,” Student Activities Director Peter Geddeis said.

Student Council members have been holding blood drives for 30 years, Geddeis said. Last year, they received an award from Heartland Blood Centers, the company that runs the blood drives, for their dedication to collecting and donating blood to those in need.

“Heartland always sets the goals each year based on historical trends for a calendar slot in previous years, but our goal is always to surpass that,” Geddeis said.

The first blood drive has consistently had the largest number of people, Geddeis said. However, after the first, the numbers typically start to decrease. The numbers drop off for a variety of reasons. One of which is that since physical activity is not allowed for the rest of the day after donation, student athletes cannot participate during their season.

Despite the fact that there are typically many sign ups, not everybody is able to donate on the day of the drive, Geddeis said. There’s certain criteria for donating blood beyond the school’s requirements for age, weight, and parent approval for 16-year-olds. Heartland Blood Centers looks at other factors on the day of the blood drive like pulse, iron level, and other physical health requirements.

“I was able to donate for the first time last year,” Student Council President Brandt Siegfried ’18, said. “I think that it’s a really great way for us to help keep other people alive. My cousin works in an ICU at a hospital, and she’s explained to me the importance of having blood available. That’s something that has really resonated with me.”

Repeat donation is more likely if the person has a personal connection to donating blood, Geddeis said.

“Part of the reason why donating blood is special to me is because it is something that my mom has done her entire life,” Geddeis said. “Every time I donate, I think about my mom and how she donates simply out of the goodness of her heart. I started because I saw her doing it and thought to myself, ‘I’ll start doing it.'”