Ides of life

Lead singer of Survivor to help kickoff Relay for Life

Relay for Life logo (Wikipedia.org).

Kristen Roemer, Photo Editor

The LTHS Relay for Life club is beginning its fundraising season with the annual kickoff. Returning to the Relay for Life for the second year after taking time off, sponsor Kris Costopoulos is kicking off the annual event with an “Ides of March” themed toga party. The event will be on March 15 from 7-9 p.m. in the North Campus Student Cafeteria.

“I didn’t want to see [the event] go away and we had too many students still wanting to be a part of it,” Costopoulos said. “It’s a big commitment on the part of the sponsor but the rewards are great.”

The club has a lot planned for the kickoff this year. The event will cover general relay information, have a cancer survivor give a guest speech, have someone speak on behalf of the American Cancer Society Cancer Action Network (ACS CAN) and student entertainment such as raffles, games, and shirts. Jim Peterik, lead singer of rock band Survivor, will also be making a guest appearance to sing a few numbers, Costopoulos said.

“I think that the kickoff event is a great way to start the relay season and up the excitement for the teams taking part in relay, as well as inspire people involved to fundraise for the event,” club member Anna Geraghty ’17 said.

The club has personally impacted Costopoulos. Students in the club provided her with needed supplies for recovery when she was in the hospital after her breast sugery in 1999. They offered to give Costopoulos a wig and provided her mother with one during chemotherapy.

“It has given me and our students a vehicle to fight cancer,” Costopoulos said. “[The event] should be fun and the venue is awesome. I hope to have over 100 people.”