LT students, staff participate in Evanston Polar Plunge

LT raises money for Special Olympics by jumping into Lake Michigan

LT students charge into Evanston lakefront (Rich Howe).

Caroline Konstant, Copy Editor

Spending a day at Lake Michigan and swimming in the freshwater is refreshing and rewarding during the summer months, but some LT students would rather be found “taking the plunge” into the frigid waters at Clark Street Beach in support of Special Olympics in Illinois on Feb. 20.

“It’s an exhilarating thought that you’re jumping into freezing water for the good of others,” two-year Polar Plunge participant Grant Hill ‘16 said.  “The water is extremely cold for any other non-plunger, but for a plunger you’re warmed by the compassion and love to help others.”

Over the past four years, the plunge has gained attention and plungers from LT. In 2013, 13 LT students participated and by 2015 the number had grown to 50.

Along with growth in participants, fundraising has reached a high as well. In 2014, $14,612 was raised by donations from sharing information on their personal social medias and email.

“We would ultimately like to raise a quarter of a million over the next 20 years,” Wolf said. “In order to make a better effort to publicize the event, we will utilize social media, our website and various other resources to get more students and staff involved going forward.”

LT currently has raised $31,293 over the past four years including the donations that they have received for the current plunge. The goal for this year was $15,000.

The plunge that LT participates in raises funds for area five Special Olympics, which is the conference that LT competes in. All of the money that is raised in this Polar Plunge will directly go towards supporting LT and all the teams in their conference. In addition, the funds help host the area five state qualifying tournaments for all sports.

“I got involved because I enjoy helping others out,” Hill said. “Especially if the proceeds go back to our school to help our Special Olympics team out.”

To keep all participants safe, there are warming tents, paramedics, divers and many volunteers ready to assist if something were to happen. The temperature hovers around the 30s and water temperature is usually the same, according to Wolf.

For the past three years, LT has raised the most money and won the Cool School Golden Bear Award, an award given to the high school that has raised the most funds.

“We bring the most people each year in and year out,” Wolf said. “We have the best spirit and support of any group out there and it shows.”