Local elementary school substitute teacher arrested

Highlands school substitute teacher charged for misconduct

Outdoor courtyard of Highlands District 106 (xbox.district106.net).

Juliana Halpin, Reporter

LaGrange Highlands District 106 students, staff and community were shocked to find out about the arrest of substitute teacher Joseph Gurzejk, 56, earlier this month, according to Highlands parent Jill Bonfiglio.

In a letter from Superintendent of LaGrange Highlands District 106 Patricia Viniard, to the parents of Highlands’ graduates, it was stated that charges were filed against Gurzejk on Jan. 27 by the Cook County State’s Attorney.  The charges filed were Predatory Criminal Sexual Assault of a Child and Aggravated Criminal Sexual Abuse.

“I was very shocked,” fifth grader at Highlands Elementary School, Nick Bonfiglio said. “I had known [Gurzejk] since first grade and he was always the nicest [substitute teacher], we were all really happy [when] he was subbing.”  

Recent events, such as the arrest of Gurzjejk, have raised concern over how substitute teachers are selected and hired at schools including LT.  According to LT’s public relations director Edward Piotrowski, substitute positions, like all other positions at LT, require applicants to first apply through an online database.  On the application, potential substitutes give information about their educational training, background and licensure to confirm that they are properly licensed for the position they are applying for.  From there, Piotrowski screens applicants and makes personal contract with each applicant LT is interested in bringing on for the substitute pool.  After being interviewed, substitute candidates are then allowed to meet with the office staff and undergo a criminal background check through a finger scanning system.  As dictated by Illinois school code, all those hired to work in the district must pass a criminal background check before they can attain any position.  Once candidates pass the criminal background check, LT brings them on board as a substitute teacher. 

Upon becoming an official substitute, LT provides information on how to accept jobs and reveals the expectations that need to be met in order to sub.  Expectations include: proper dress code and how to properly interact with adults and students.  

Having cleared all required background checks with no previous record of prior complaints, Gurzejk had been subbing in District 106 classrooms since 2004.  Gurzejk taught in most, if not all of the District’s classrooms and was commonly referred to as “Mr. G.” among students, staff and parents, Viniard said.

“I think [the school district] did everything they could,” Jill Bonfiglio said.  “They followed all of the guidelines, did the appropriate background checks, and I’m not sure that there’s anything else they could have done.”

According to Viniard, Gurzejk has been ordered to stay more than 500 feet from any school or park and is currently monitored through GPS tracking and electronic monitoring.  Highlands also has numerous exterior security cameras, keeps all doors locked and has staff members that are on high alert.

Due to the fact that it is an open case, Highlands has been working with the authorities and gives as much information as they can, Jill Bonfiglio said. 

They have also encouraged students not to gossip about the situation and to continue in their daily procedures, Bonfiglio said. 

“The school has been great working with the parents and the authorities to give as much information as they can,” Jill Bonfiglio said. 

According to a press release form the Cook County State’s Attorney’s Office, Gurzejk’s bond hearing was on Jan. 28. Gurzejk’s next court date was scheduled for Feb. 24, after LION’s print deadline.