Social Studies Department reacts to sudden change

Former economics teacher resigns late in summer, assistant division chair for athletics steps up

Lauren Hucko, Pulse Editor

The commencement of this school year was marked with change to the LT Social Studies department. A teaching position for AP Economics opened late in the summer which led to the addition of three sections of AP Economics classes to teacher Christopher Cabaj’s schedule.

“I have always been waiting for an opportunity to get back into economics,” Cabaj said. “Econ has always been my favorite thing to teach. I am teaching my passion.”

Despite having taught economics for years at Leyden High School and LT, Cabaj had never taught AP Economics.

“I am as prepared as I can be not having taught the course,” Cabaj said. “There’s stuff I’ll learn as I go, and I’ll make adjustments. It will be okay.”

Cabaj is fulfilling the job of former AP Economics teacher Kennith Su who was rumored to have moved to China to pursue a career in international teaching. Global Studies Division Chair Paul Houston could not confirm nor deny this.

“My understanding is that [Su] wanted to take a job abroad and that he wanted to teach in China,” Cabaj said. “I’m really happy he’s doing that. It’s phenomenal that he’s taking that opportunity.”

According to Houston, the position Cabaj filled did not exist until a very late resignation—allegedly Su’s. Although Cabaj did not know he would be teaching the AP Economics course, he attended an AP conference through the College Board this past summer in preparation to eventually teach the course.

“I have no doubt [the students] will be well prepared” Houston said. “[Cabaj] is absolutely ready to be an effective teacher in that course.”

The students currently enrolled in AP Economics were made aware of the change in teachers upon entering the course.

“Mr. Cabaj knows what he is doing,” Patrick Egan ’16 said. “The switching of teachers has not impacted teaching in any significant way.”