New NC traffic plans

LT hopes to update current traffic flow

Thomas Atseff, Assistant Web Editor

As the school year has begun and the streets surrounding NC become more crowded and congested, the Board of Education (BOE) has decided to consider revising the current traffic pattern at NC.

At the most recent BOE meeting on Aug. 17, Kenig Lindgren O’Hara & Aboona, Incorporated (KLOA) gave a presentation in which they gave suggestions for LT’s traffic, based on observations they made at NC last spring, Superintendent Timothy Kilrea said. KLOA is the same company that studied the traffic at SC last year.

“We were looking for any suggestions on how to improve the flow of traffic around NC,” Kilrea said.

The village and the school split the costs of hiring the traffic experts to survey the NC traffic, and ultimately the village will decide whether or not to implement a change in the traffic pattern at NC, Kilrea said.

The newly proposed plans consist of placing a third stop sign at Park and Cossitt, a fourth at Park and Elm and a marked pedestrian pathway leading from the main NC building to the Vaughan gym.

“This all hinges on whether or not people follow the established traffic patterns,” Kilrea said. “We are hopeful that drivers will comply with the new plans.”

According to Kilrea, the school will not enforce the new regulations in any way, should they be passed.

“We are not permitted to give out tickets to drivers in the area,” he said, “and nor would we want to do that.”

However, according to Lara Taylor, a spokesperson for the local group Neighbors for North Campus Safety, the school does have some power to enforce the potential new traffic system.

“While the school is not allowed to issue tickets,” she said, “they have the obligation as well as the power to direct parents.”

The village is in favor of the new plans, and will vote on the issue on Sept. 14, Taylor said.

“We’re very optimistic that there will be a positive outcome,” Taylor said, “which is that the village will pass the new plans, and that parents will obey them.”