Construction Affects Classes

Noise, dust from windows causes distractions for students, teachers

Abby King, Reporter

Of all the normal distractions in a school day for children throughout the nation, a jackhammer pounding steadily on bedrock is not typically the sound that comes to mind.

For the students of LT, however, it has been a normal part of the routine for the beginning of the 2014-2015 school year. All of the noise and ruckus that the students have had to endure will end in March with the new cafeteria and Reber Center improvements.

This has been the year of change for LT. At SC, several of the roofs have been redone, six new science labs have been added to J wing and the tennis courts have been renovated.

At NC, the Reber center, cafeteria, pipework, 20 additional air conditioning units and a new entrance to the library are just a few of the improvements that happened over the summer and continue into the school year. According to Superintendent Dr. Timothy Kilrea, an estimated $23 million has been allocated for these capital projects. The district accomplished this by retiring old debt and issuing new bonds.

“We will continue to do the best we can to minimize noise,” Kilrea said. “We’ve been able to start school on time, which was expected, and the kids have flexible with some of the changes that have been implemented, like the temporary cafeteria in the Vaughan Gym.”

It is clear that the construction workers are determined to finish the job and do it accurately. Despite weather conflicts and unforeseen problems, they have managed to stay on track for the most part. The two main facilities that are still being renovated are the Reber Center and the cafeteria.

“In terms of summer it was as aggressive of a timeline as you see in construction,” Principal Brian Waterman said.

Since it is still very hot outside, the windows need to remain open to help air circulate through the classrooms, which means more noise for the classes around the courtyard during the day. If the situation becomes unbearable, the administration had the idea of moving the classes affected by noise to other parts of the school.

“Obviously having six of my classes on the interior part of the school has affected my ability to concentrate in class, especially when taking tests,” Danny Shannon ‘15 said. “It is a bummer being a senior and only being able to use the lunchroom for the last two months of my four years, but it will be worth it for the future classes at NC.”

The anticipated future cafeteria is set to be ready by March 2015. This new area boasts natural light with a pathway to walk into the courtyard to eat lunch. The entire space will be opened up and available before and after school for activities and clubs as well.

Due to the fact that the original building was built in 1888, there are several unforeseen conditions encountered -which is not unusual- the general contractors and the administrative team have been working to hammer out together in their weekly progress meetings, Kilrea said. An example is hitting bedrock in the courtyard, hence the jackhammers. But together, as a team, they have been able to move past these minor discrepancies and continue to finish the massive project.

Even though the construction can be troublesome, the administration thought it was necessary to repair and fix the school in effort to create a better learning environment for the students. This cafeteria and new Reber Center will benefit all the students to come to North Campus in the future.