Review: ‘Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat’

Musical exceeds expectations, showcases vocal, dance talent

Brooke Chomko, Sports Editor

I am no stranger to LT Theatre. Since freshman year, I have been enjoying whatever productions the wonderful LT Theatre department has put on, everything from “Tens by Teens” to “Spamalot” to the improv shows. So obviously, when this year’s musical production was announced, I was there.

I remember seeing a professional production of “Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat” a while ago in Chicago, but it didn’t stand out in my memory, so I didn’t know what to expect with LT’s version. There were four different showings in the Reber Center on Feb.17-20 in the early afternoon and evening, and I chose to go to the one on Feb. 18. Something I enjoyed about this production was the different casts on different days, allowing the actors and actresses the opportunity to have multiple roles and giving the play a unique experience every time. In the Feb. 18 and 20 version that I saw, Natalie Halm ‘24 was the lead as Joseph and put on a captivating show with emotional vocals and entertaining dancing. 

Throughout the entirety of the production I was entranced by the fluidity of the dances, varied music, and the many costume changes. One thing that also makes each LT musical unique is the onstage “pit” orchestra/band that accompanies the actors and actresses, while showcasing even more of the talent of LT’s student body. The costumes changed with the mood of each song and dance, and I especially loved the silver sparkly jumpsuits worn by Maggie Heflin ‘22, Owen Slad ‘22, and Amber Phillips ‘22 in their roles as narrators. There were large dance numbers that included the whole cast and smaller numbers that incorporated props, which were effective in keeping the audience entertained with a variety of visuals. 

Overall, the high expectations I entered LT’s production of “Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat” were more than met, and I was awed by the amount of talent put together in the show. Although there are no more showings, I encourage everyone to experience LT’s future theatre productions, the next being the Donna Mavros Festival of one-act plays directed by LT students, scheduled for March 18-20.

5/5 Paws!