Girls Gymnastics begins season with optimistic perspective

Back to Article
Back to Article

Grace Leonard '19 (left) and Tiffany Trujilo '21 (right) prepare for flips (Klein/LION).

Nicole Klein, Reporter

9 votes

As the upcoming season approaches,15 out of the 25 people on the varsity and junior varsity teams are freshman. They have been training to prepare for their first year of high school gymnastics and are looking to the older members for advice.

“We are going to have a really young team,” second-year head coach Darragh McDermott said. “I am excited for our sophomores, juniors, and seniors to take on a leadership role.”

The team’s first meet was Nov. 21 at Hinsdale South, McDermott said.

“Since they are young, they can look to the upperclassman to see how high school gymnastics is run, and they can feed off the energy of the gym,” Natalie Zabrodsky ‘20 said.

Besides conference, the biggest invites this year will be Fremd and Lake Forest High School, McDermott said. The teams at those meets are usually successful at state.

“One advantage to having a younger team is that the team will keep getting bigger, and they can keep improving their skills,” Zabrodsky said. “So, by senior year they’ll be better prepared to go to state.”

Many girls on the team participate in local clubs, and returning members train by sticking to their action plan from last year, McDermott said. Before the season started, the team has been preparing by participating in open gym.

“One of our strengths is [only a few days into the season] we are already bonding,” Grace Leonard ‘19 said.

This season, they will be working with nutritionists and the LT trainers in order to remain healthy throughout the season, Leonard said.

“I really like how you have to train your body and your mind to be able to take risks, which in the end leads to a reward,”  Leonard said.

Along with physical health, the team will be focusing on mental and emotional health, McDermott said. The team’s motto is “stronger together”.

“It is written on our chalkboard and it is a nice reminder to work together,” Leonard said.

Along with individuals, one of the team’s goals is to qualify for state, McDermott said.

“I believe there is every reason we are capable of doing that,” she said.

For the junior varsity team, the season ends at the end of January, McDermott said. If the varsity team advances to state, the season will go half way through February.

The team’s next meet is on Dec. 5 at Hinsdale Central High School.

About the Writer
Nicole Klein, Reporter

Hi, I’m Nicole Klein! No, I’m not related to Calvin Klein, but yes, that would be cool.