Girls’ golf finishes season

Girls’ golf finishes season, Reporter

0 votes

During the LT girls’ golf team regional competition, Elizabeth Sommerfeld ‘19 was overcome with emotion during her last round of golf for the team. Sommerfeld was on the golf team for her entire LT career.

“It was just really sentimental,” Sommerfeld said. “The juniors were emotional because they knew the team wouldn’t be the same next year, but it was a good end to the four years.”

The season began on Aug. 6 and ended on Oct. 13 with the team finishing 5-4 in dual matches and fifth in the Western Suburban Conference, varsity coach Jeff Johnson said.

“Our varsity team was very happy with some big wins against Oak Park and Glenbard West,” Johnson said. “We were all similar teams that could have beaten each other.”

As the season progressed, the team’s skills improved, Sommerfeld said. The girls also became closer as a team through bonding activities such as pasta parties, breakfasts and joking around with their teammates during tournaments and during practices.

“This season, the team was really focused on bonding,” Sommerfeld said.

The team built a community, improved as golfers and had fun playing golf, Johnson said. The team practiced through their matches and tournaments; driving and short range time; and putting green time. The girls also practiced during the off season by playing at local courses and practicing their technique, Sommerfeld said.

“We had a lot of moments where we competed with teams that were close to our skill level,” Sommerfeld said. “It was really special to win against [those teams].”

For Nora Kirby ‘20, the most memorable part of the season was playing Oak Park River Forest. The two teams played a close game that ended in a win through a tie break, she said.

“It really proves how each stroke counts,” Kirby said. “It was memorable to see our team accomplish that.”

The biggest worry going into the season was that the underclassmen wouldn’t have interest and wouldn’t try out for the team, Johnson said, but the team ended up having seven freshmen join.

“We have a nice group of juniors, sophomores, and freshmen that had fun playing golf this year,” Johnson said. “I believe [they] are willing to work to improve for our team season next fall.”

If the team works hard next season, they can pull off their goal of sending the whole team to sectionals, Sommerfeld said. This year the team only sent Kirby and Katlyn Lambright ‘20 to sectionals.