Lacrosse looks to make strong run at state title, veterans lead

Boys lacrosse in full swing

Drew Cushing, Reporter

The boys lacrosse team has its sights set on the state title this year after losing several key players from last year.

“Last years team was a team that is not easy to come by,” defenseman and team captain Alec Cohen ‘15 said. “We had an all american middie and another even better middie that we lost. But we have our defense returning which is a huge plus.”

The team’s returning defense consists of Cohen, Dominic Raphael ’16, Luke Pigman ‘15, Jack Walton ‘17, Jack O’Malley ‘15 and Jake Walczyk ‘15. The returning defense is strong with upperclassmen and the team’s strategy as whole has placed more emphasis on it.

“Coach Duffy has given them all the strategies for them to win every game for us and to get us the ball when the offense needs it,” Attack Spencer Kinzie ‘16 said

“Our biggest weakness would have to be inexperience,” Pigman said. “With the loss of most of our offensive middies, we have turned to two sophomores and a freshman to play midfield. They’re all talented players but they haven’t played together before this season so there’s some chemistry that needs to be built up in that department.”

The team is also looking towards experienced underclassmen such as Walton, Charlie Kidder ‘17, and Joe Robello ‘17 to help lead the team as well. The team will look to athleticism by emphasizing conditioning both before and after in order to ensure they can keep up the intensity late in the game. Team captains Matt Faucher ‘15, Cohen, O’Malley, and Walczyk are also setting good examples for the team to follow and helping out in any way the team needs.

“Personally I am contributing to the team by setting a good example on how to play and not let anyone talk you down,” Cohen said.

The weather has also played a role in the team’s development this season. Because of the late snows, the team has had to use the fieldhouse and the south campus driving range as practice facilities due to all the snow on Bennett field. Also due to other sports also needing the field house, the team has either had early morning practices or late afternoon practices in order to condition more and the team has also watched plenty of film to prepare for the season.

Also, this season the team has decided on a motto in order to truly represent the team as a whole.

“The motto we decided on was FBRC, which stands for Friendship, Brotherhood, Respect, and Community,” Pigman said. “We say this before and after games and practices to remind ourselves to be respectful because when we play, we play for each other and we want to represent our school and community as well as possible.”

On April 14, the team beat Fremd High School 7-5 and currently has a 3-2 record. The team plays next against St. Rita High School at St. Rita at 1 p.m. on April 18.