MUN continues recent success

Sofia Menna ’20 and Izzy Dulla ’20 manage LYMUN (Bonfiglio/LION).

Maggie Kahn, Reporter

At the Notre Dame conference on Feb. 1, the LT Model United Nations (MUN) club came in first place, beating out nine other schools and taking home 11 individual awards.

“I was very excited to hear how well we did at Notre Dame,” Matthew O’Malley ‘19 said. “I was especially pleased with the underclassmen who [won] awards.”

As MUN attends several different conferences throughout the course of the school year, students continue to grow in their researching, writing, planning, speaking and collaborating skills.

“MUN is [an] excellent opportunity for students to gain skills that will allow them to succeed in their future careers,” MUN sponsor Andrew Johannes said. “Students develop skills to accurately research to support their position, develop their skills in giving speeches that articulate a position clearly and concisely, develop collaboration skills in order to solve problems with strangers, develop effective writing and they develop a better understanding of the issues that face your generation.”

MUN has attended six conferences this year, including locations such as Stevenson High School, Carl Sandburg High School, Washington University in St. Louis, Waubonsie Valley High School, St. Ignatius College Prep and Chicago International Model United Nations (CIMUN), Johannes said. The team has brought home three group awards, with 27 students bringing home 53 individual awards. There have been 21 first place awards and 17 third place awards.

MUN held a conference at LT, called LYMUN, on Feb. 23.  Although LT students did not compete, the conference hosted 32 schools, 650 students, with 24 separate committees throughout the day, Johannes said.

“[Our] season has gone pretty well,” MUN president Xander Allison ‘19 said. “We hold ourselves to a pretty high standard, so it is hard to be satisfied.”

MUN starts in September and goes through April, with about one conference each month, Johannes said. Students are encouraged to participate whenever they can due to the open enrollment aspect of the club. There are currently 75 students involved in the club, with 45 active members.

“The season has been great so far,” Izzy Dulla ‘20 said. “Many new members have joined this year and LT has been killing it at conferences.”

At conferences, students are put in political simulations where they represent a policy of a particular country in a political or social committee, Allison said. A group of 15 countries will attempt to solve a global dispute or crisis. Participants are then graded on their speaking and writing performances as well as how accurately they articulate their ideas in relation to their country’s real view.

As the year goes on, students will continue to spend time researching their committee’s topics, gaining confidence and a lot of knowledge pertaining to world issues and possible tactics that can be used to solve them, Dulla said.

“[MUN is] a club that helps kids get out of their shell and discuss topics that actually have depth,” Dulla said.

The MUN club’s next conference is on March 8 at the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign.

At the Notre Dame conference on Feb. 1, the LT Model United Nations (MUN) club came in first place, beating out nine other schools and taking home 11 individual awards. Then at home…

As MUN attends conferences throughout the year, students continue to grow in their researching, writing, speaking and collaborating skills.

MUN held a conference at LT, called LYMUN, on Feb. 23.

MUN starts in September and goes through April, with approximately one conference each month, Johannes said. Students are encouraged to participate whenever they can due to the open enrollment aspect of the club. There are currently 75 students involved in the club, with 45 active members.