Relay walks for success

New additions allow tightening of community

Caroline Konstant, Pulse Editor

Hundreds of hand-decorated white paper bags filled with sand and a neon green glow stick will be lit and will line the track of Bennett Field on June 10 in honor of those who are currently fighting or have lost their battle to cancer. This tradition is called a luminaria and is a part of Relay for Life, which is a 12-hour fundraiser that LT hosts for West Cook county in order to raise money for the American Cancer Society.

“Cancer is the second leading cause of death and has taken too many mothers, fathers, sisters, brothers and friends,” team captain Joe Maino ‘19 said. “These are all reasons to fund cancer research and programs which directly provide support for those battling cancer.”

A new addition to this year’s event will be a featured “survivor chair” in front of each tent for survivors to sit down and tell their story in order for participants to get to know the people who they are supporting through their fundraising. Assistant Principal and Relay Sponsor Kris Costopoulos plans to play inspiring music during passing periods on the Fridays leading up to the event, such as “Survivor” and “Live Like You’re Dying.”

“I’ve never had kids trying to sneak out of the event,” Costopoulos said. “Only kids who were trying to sneak in.”

Bennett Field will be full of tents continuing to raise money during the event to reach West Cook’s goal of $75,000. This year’s theme is “Star Wars” and multiple activities will be going on including a movie after the luminaria on an inflated screen.

Fundraising is mainly conducted at the winter garage sale in the SC corral, but also takes place at the event and during Relay week. Some highlights of other fundraising activities are men in tights and babes in boxers, “cancer sucks” t-shirt sales, gift wrapping for donation and restaurant fundraisers.

“Although Relay [for Life] is about remembering those we have lost, it also is about celebrating life because you never how long you or someone you love has,” team captain Hallie Coleman ‘17 said.

Costopoulos plans to lead her last Relay before her retirement in 2019, so a new sponsor is needed for her replacement. If anyone is interested in taking the position, please contact Student Activities Director Geddeis or Costopoulos in order to carry on this event