LTHS students break several AP test records in year 2015

Maddie Williams, Freelance Reporter

In 2015, more AP tests were taken than ever before because of the students, teachers, and administrators at LTHS.

“I think that eliminating the accel level courses in English and Physics was a contributing factor in the increase of AP tests administered at LT last year,” Principal Brian Waterman said.

A total of 990 students took 2,273 AP exams. This is the sixth consecutive year LT has broken the record for the most students to take an AP test.

Molly Rogan ‘16 is currently taking AP English, and she hopes to help LT continue to break the record for the most AP exams taken next year.

“I’m taking AP English because it was one of my better subjects and prep English was already easy for me,” Rogan said.

Last school year, 28% of the LTHS students who decided to take an AP test scored a five, 61% earned a four, and 88% achieved a three.

“I think that the Curriculum Director Scott Eggerding, Division Chairs, and faculty at LTHS has worked diligently throughout the previous four to six years to open access to AP courses for as many students as possible,” Waterman said.

Many individuals have contributed to this continuous increase of the amount of students taking AP exams, and they are still working to set another record amount this year. The percent of students who scored a three or higher last year is five percent lower than the scores were in 2014. The main contributor to this fact is the increased access of AP courses.

“I fully support increasing access to more AP classes, because it provides students with more opportunities as they transition to post-secondary opportunities,” Waterman said.