Athlete of the month Tyrese Shines ’19

Mikaela Larson, Reporter

Tyrese Shines ‘19 has been playing basketball for as long as he can remember, with no signs of slowing down anytime soon. Not many players that come through the ultra-competitive LT basketball program can say they played all four years at the varsity level, but Shines is doing just that.

“Nobody is ready to come in as a freshman and play varsity basketball,” varsity head coach Tom Sloan said. “He has looked to the older players to be an example for him from last year’s, as well as this year’s team, which led him to adjust quickly.”

In the 26 games played during the 2015-2016 season, Shines had a season average of just under 40 percent for both field goal shooting and three pointers.

“Ty has become a great basketball player over the years,” seven-year teammate Elijah Bright ‘17 said. “He has a natural talent for the game. [He] has been an important player at the varsity level and he will only have a bigger role when his senior year comes around.”

Throughout the course of the 2016-2017 season, Shines has improved on his already impressive stats. He has been the difference maker in numerous games this season, scoring 16 points off the bench in a commanding 72-56 victory over Proviso West on Feb. 10. During the blockbuster Blackout game vs. Glenbard West on Jan. 20, Shines led the team with 22 points and six steals in their 58-46 victory, Shines said.

“For a player his age and his size, he is a very good ball handler and a very good shooter,” Sloan said. “When a freshman or sophomore comes in and can make those players around him better at the varsity level, that’s not very common.”

Over the past two seasons, he has added to his talented offensive game by improving his defensive play, Bright says. His ‘lock down’ style has lead to increased steals and an overall growth on the defensive front.

“He has improved at playing team defense these past two years,” Sloan said. “Coming in as a freshman he did not have much experience having to guard somebody besides your own, but has managed to learn and adjust to that.”

During practice and the day-to-day on the team, Shines manages to stay focused and keep his teammates that way too, Bright said. He motivates himself, as well as others to work hard and push themselves.

Shines credits his success to his concentration and attitude, saying, “I have the mindset that no one can stop me.”

The next two seasons Sloan expects Shines to become a leader on the team and teach those who are coming into the same situation that he came into.

“[I want] to get better each and every day and absorb as many new things about the game of basketball as I can,” Shines said. “My main focus for the next two seasons is growing into a leader role.”

Although Shines may have two years left of high school ball, he has already started to think about playing in college, Shines said.

“I want basketball to take me as far as it can,” Shines said. “Playing Division I in college is the goal.”

But for now, the current focus is the playoff run which began Feb. 27 with a road win against No. 18 seed Glenbard North at Downers Grove North. The team went into the playoffs with a 13-13 record (3-9 conference) earning them a No. 16 seed.

The ultimate goal is to win state, Sloan said. He compared it to a step ladder, saying they must first win regionals and then sectionals, but cannot get overconfident and aim for the championship game right away.

“We have to take it game by game, quarter by quarter, and really possession by possession,” Sloan said. “Our goals really need to be to get a good shot every time we have the ball and stop the other team from having a good shot when they have the ball. If we keep it simple like that we can stack those things together and hopefully play for three more weeks.”