LT graduate releases rap mixtape

LT+graduate+releases+rap+mixtape+

Michael Grace, Multimedia Editor

With the recent release of his debut rap mixtape “Mid-Summer Dream,” LT grad Dione Goree ’14 has stepped out onto the local music scene. The mixtape features five songs which Goree produced over a period of four months, starting at the end of his senior year at LT.

Goree had released a number of singles prior to his mixtape but felt the need to create something bigger and with a new attitude to go along with the summer months.

“I always wanted to come out with a song that I always envisioned for summer time, something free,” Goree said. “It’s almost like a love story in a way that everyone can relate to no matter what type of gender you are or what background you’re coming from.”

Goree started from the bottom, beginning with sound, then creating beats, then recording vocals to achieve the perfect melody he had been searching for. LT first got a glimpse of Goree’s style when he performed at Brownstock last year. A memorable performance for many, the current DePaul freshman brought life to his set with barrage of dance moves and an energetic flow of words as he rapped.

“He pushed boundries that someone right out of high school I don’t think usually does,” former classmate and fan of Goree Phil Janowiak ’15 said. “He really sounds like he’s got his own style.”

Currently Goree is working on a new project called “No Kings”, which focuses on the importance of group collaboration rather than the individual in today’s music industry. Like “Mid-Summer Dream” he emphasizes on having the sound match up with the upcoming fall and winter seasons.

“It’s a dark, ambient feeling for fall,” Goree said. “We really just try to channel the seasons and incorporate with that.”

Goree hopes to continue his music career in the future as well as get into the fashion industry, hoping to establish his own brand while he is still at DePaul.

“If he can keep putting out good music like ‘Mid-Summer Dream’ he could have a very successful career,” Janowiak said.