Junior marches on sideline, rushes on field

Lauren Hucko, Pulse Editor

Amid the masses of excited football players celebrating their opening night victory against Warren High School, Zak Lavaty ’17 stood proudly sounding his infamous cowbell: a symbol that seamlessly combines his world of football with his world of marching band.

“[Zak] has a lot of energy and enthusiasm. The kids love him and he’s a big part of our family,” LT varsity football coach Kurt Weinberg said. “He loves football, loves LT, loves the band [and] loves being involved with his teammates both as part of the band and as part of the football team.”

Despite his intellectual disability, Zak has taken on an integral role within the LT football program. According to Weinberg, he participates as both an offensive lineman and assistant coach of the LTHS football team.

“I feel proud being the assistant coach of my football team,” Zak said. “I like to hang out with my friends at football practice, [and my favorite part of playing football is] going out to the field and playing hard.”

Zak comes from a family that bleeds blue and gold and lives for athletics as much as music. His father played football for LT before continuing at the collegiate level.

“There is no better thing for a young man than being associated with a strong football program,” Howard Lavaty ’80 said. “It has done so much for [Zak]. He is involved in everything based on football.”

A typical day for Zak consists of waking up at the crack of dawn in order to watch football films with the coaching staff and players before attending school. Immediately after school, he suits up for football and marching band practice respectively–all before beginning his homework.

“I am proud of his devotion,” Howard said. “He knows he’s not going to be starting in a game, [but] he never misses a practice. He is doing whatever it takes.”

Zak’s resiliency has not only astounded his family, but doctors as well. He was born deaf but now can communicate with ease, and his doctors were in disbelief upon hearing of his involvement in a varsity sport.

“I truly mean he is my hero,” Howard said. “What he has done given the hand he was dealt has surpassed anything I ever thought he would do.”

As a member of LT football, Zak’s presence is invaluable. His spirit and enthusiasm have singlehandedly influenced the entirety of the program.

“Zak has shown me to have fun in everything I do and to always be positive,” captain Jimmy Saracco ’16 said. “Whenever things aren’t going your way, he’ll do or say something that makes you laugh. He’s someone you want on your team because he’s the type of person who brings everyone together.”

According to Howard, Zak is known wherever they go. From the local Mariano’s to the city of Chicago, the Lavaty family never fails to run into one of the many people whose lives Zak has touched.

“He is outgoing, and he doesn’t have a bad word to say about anyone,” Howard said. “He is my son, and I love him.”