Athlete of the Month: Caroline Walsh ’15

Joe Rossetti, Sports Editor

After giving up swimming to play volleyball her freshman year, Caroline Walsh ‘15 tried out for the girls water polo team, and four seasons later, she finds herself to be one of the most elite players in the state, and in love with a sport that she used to overlook.

“I always played basketball and volleyball and never really thought that I would play water polo,” Walsh said. “It’s a very random sport that not many people even know about, but I just decided to do it freshman year, just on a whim. Honestly, I’ve built so many great friendships, ones that I would never have been able to make without water polo. I just love the competitiveness. I’ve always been a competitive person. Water polo gives me the ability to be competitive at the high school level.”

Not only has Walsh’s appreciation for the sport grown, but her skill level has followed a similar trend. Walsh was moved up to varsity with teammate Julia Cohen ‘15 for the sectional tournament her freshman year, and has been there ever since. This year, Walsh has lead the team to its 14-4 record, with 61 goals, 35 assists, over 40 steals and drawn 35 ejections.

“She has come so far since when I first saw her,” Head Coach Lauren Burel said. “She’s gone from being a really good player, to becoming one of the best players in the
state. It’s been fun to watch her.”

Walsh is also a captain of the team and does her best to make the team feel comfortable with each other both in and out of the pool. A lot of Walsh’s leadership is done by example.

“She’s always talking and always leading the team through each play and each practice or set we’ll swim,” Cohen said. “Everyone looks up to her as being a great person, a great leader and a great water polo player. She’s definitely a role model, especially for the younger girls on the team. I can tell they just look up to her. She always knows exactly what she’s doing, and that’s something you can really look up to a player for, because that’s not a common thing.”

Walsh was recently named the Week 3 Super Baller by ILLpolo.com. This is a special recognition given to one male player and one female player each week of the water polo season. Walsh was awarded Super Baller for her performance in the LT Tournament, where she scored 12 goals, one of which was an overtime game-winner against Evanston, as she lead her team to a tournament victory.

“She’s one of the most versatile players [I’ve coached],” Burel said. “She can equally play defense and offense at the same ability and the same high intensity and that high level and it’s fun to see her do that. She gets great position in the water and she’s got a great shot.”

Already enrolled at Michigan, Walsh is unsure of whether she will continue to play at the collegiate level. Walsh is looking to make the most of what could be her last water polo season, especially after a broken hand caused her to miss the second half of last season.

“Since I didn’t get to play too much last year with my injury, I’m hoping to make up for that this year and take advantage of the time I have,” Walsh said. “I’m looking to be placed on the first All-State team. That’s what my goal is.”

Walsh’s presence in the water is noticeable, and has a great effect on her team.

“She always knows what to do next, and she’s always five steps ahead of her defender,” Cohen said. “She can block practically any shot, and I believe she is one of the best players in the state as of now.”