Lacrosse hires new head coach

Lacrosse hires new head coach

Bailey Blum, Assistant Sports Editor

After winning conference for 11 straight years, the LT boys lacrosse team is set on achieving its goal of winning state for the first time in the program’s history, and new Head Coach Tim Duffy plans to lead them there.

“I’m looking to push the program to the next level,” Duffy said. “It’s consistently been a top five program in the state, and this year we will be looking to raise the bar.”

Despite a serious long term goal, Duffy emphasizes the importance of being short-sighted throughout the season.

“We will take it one day at a time,” Duffy said. “The most important thing is continuing to work hard, win our battles and challenge ourselves every day.”

Duffy took the reigns of the boys lacrosse team after former Head Coach Bill Kalbfleisch retired last year. Duffy was previously the coach of the Fenwick boys lacrosse team, where he coached for nine years and was named the Chicago Catholic League Coach of the Year for the 2014 season. Duffy has also coached the USA All-Stars and the Irish National Team to elite international victories.

“His experience definitely has brought him a lot of respect from the guys,” Matt Faucher ‘15 said.

Although tryouts only started this week, prospective team members have been doing morning conditioning three days a week since early February, a routine Duffy started in order to better prepare the boys for the upcoming season.

“If we condition now, we won’t have to do it in practice,” Faucher said. “It’s better this way because then our actual practices are just focused on lacrosse and not running sprints.”

Duffy also plans to utilize film sessions, a process never before utilized by the program in the past.

“[Film sessions] are a big part of my philosophy,” Duffy said. “In my eyes, around 80% of our success during games will be attributed to how well we prepare. Film gives us the ability to scout our opponents prior to contests and also provides an opportunity to learn from what we’ve done in the past. It’s absolutely invaluable as a coaching tool.”

The team looks to be led by Faucher, who is entering his fourth year on varsity and has committed to Endicott College to play lacrosse, as well as a stellar defense led by Alec Cohen ‘15, Jake Walcyk ‘15 and Jack Walton ‘17.

The season starts March 21 with a home game against Maine South High School at 1 p.m. on Bennett Field.