Boys soccer preps for post-season

Following successful season, PepsiCo Showdown run, team focuses on state

Lidia Breen, Pulse Editor

Although this fall is turning out to be a cold one, boys varsity soccer is staying hot as they approach the post season, ending the regular season at (RECORD), ranked second in the state by the Sun-Times, placing second in the PepsiCo Showdown and earning a number three seed in their Sectional. The top two seeds are Morton and Hinsdale Central, respectively—two of their rivals and two of their (NUMBER) losses this season.

“We have one of the most difficult sections in the state, so every game will be a battle,” Captain Patrick Duncan ‘15 said. “But I think we have the ability to make a run through the postseason. If everything works out, we would have a chance to avenge losses to both Morton and Hinsdale in the playoffs, and that is something the team is hungry for.”

Pre-season predictions that this year’s team would not be as strong overall due to graduation losses, and losses of high school eligible players forward Christian Sanchez ‘16 and goalkeeper David Fiflis ‘15 to Chicago Fire Academy, proved to be wrong, as new players were able to step in and find success. Starting goalkeeper Donald Darrus ‘16 has posted nine (SUBJECT TO CHANGE) shutouts this year and LT boasts four top goal scorers, Labbato said. The players also credit their deep bench to much of their success this year.

“We have such a talented bench, and depth in our bench,” Darrus said. “We have been battling many injuries this year, and our bench has done a great job in stepping in and getting the job done.”

The depth and overall strength of the team led them through the renowned PepsiCo Showdown, in which they scored 15 goals and gave up three, over the course of five games.

But, two of those goals came in the final and proved to be costly. After holding a lead for most of the final of the PepsiCo Showdown against an athletic and talented Morton squad, the game was tied at the end of regulation and one overtime, resulting in a penalty kick loss and a second place finish in the tournament.

“I felt really bad for our guys,” Head Coach Paul Labbato said. “I think they felt like they could win, and to have it snatched away at the end really stinks.”

Morton gained the number one seed in the sectional, and LT will possibly face them in the sectional final—provided they make it that far through the postseason.

“We would have to get through [Morton] to make a run at state,” Duncan said. “They have a ton of skill and defensive ability so it would be difficult, but I think we showed in the Pepsi Showdown final that we are able to compete with them.”

But, after falling to St. Charles East (whom at the time was ranked No. 1 in the State) in the final of the Naperville Invitational, and Morton, the day after falling to Hinsdale Central in the “Silver Brick” game, the team concedes that there are some things to work on in order to be successful in the postseason. They need to work on set piece defense and staying focused specifically, Duncan and Labbato said.

“We have shown that we can play with any team in the state,” Duncan said.  “We just have to be able to learn from our losses and be able to adapt in the playoffs when we face adversity and I have a lot of faith that we will be able to do so.”