Musician returns from Ireland to teach, perform

Junior competes, learns at worldwide Irish traditional music festival

Tim Mikulski, Assistant Pulse Editor

For nine August days and nights at the Fleadh Cheoil in Ireland’s cultural center Sligo, music spilled out from pubs and venues throughout the town. Conor Sheldon ’17 and thousands of other musicians returned from playing at the festival with a newfound experience in Irish traditional music, to use both for his own performing and for teaching others.

“It was what the Irish would define as crowded, which is basically the average density of Chicago,” Sheldon said. “Everywhere there were sessions going on, which is where musicians gather to play together.”

The Fleadh Cheoil na hÉireann (meaning Music Festival of Ireland in Gaelic) is the world-stage competition and festival for traditional Irish musicians, organized by Irish music and culture organization Comhaltas (CCÉ). Sheldon qualified for the by winning the mandolin competition at the Midwest Fleadh in Cincinnati, allowing him to compete with the 14 other top mandolin players in the world in his age group (15-18).

“I got to play an amazing session at a pub called Shoot the Crows, and met a famous flute player named Seamus Tansey,” he said. “We stayed out playing tunes until 4 a.m.”

Though he only competed in the mandolin competition at the Fleadh Cheoil, he also plays fiddle and guitar and teaches all three instruments for the Murphy Roche Irish Music Club, an Illinois branch of the CCÉ. Sheldon performs with the club weekly at The Irish Legend in Willow Springs, as well as for a monthly céilí dance at Chicago Gaelic Park.

Other Murphy Roche musicians also accompanied Sheldon. The leader of the weekly Irish Legend session, Mike Chole, stressed that the Fleadh was much more than a competition.

“Getting to play and learn with some of the best musicians in the world is an absolutely fascinating experience,” Chole said. “Only then comes the competition, so even if you don’t do anything you have succeeded just to be there.”

Irish music sessions are different from American folk music performances, mainly through their organization. Instead of songs, players take turns leading sets, which consist of the leader starting a tune and then other players who know it joining in. The leader will then repeat the tune with the group before flowing into a new one, with most sets consisting of three repetitions of three tunes. The music uses traditional instruments like the fiddle, guitar and accordion as well unique Gaelic instruments like the uilleann pipes and concertina.

“Sessions are great because they’re a casual way to play tunes with friendly people who you’ll instantly share something in common with,” Sheldon said. “They’re as much fun for the players as they are for the listeners.”

Robyn Jedlicka, another Murphy Roche member, plays at the weekly session with Sheldon and also attended the Fleadh.

“It’s great to be able to go out and play music with people,” she said. “And at the Fleadh, we met musicians from all over the world.”

Next year’s Fleadh will be held in Ennis in midwest Ireland, and Sheldon hopes to compete there again. Here in the U.S., Sheldon is continuing to play his regular sessions and dances, teaching at Murphy Roche and improving his playing of all three instruments.

“I definitely plan to continue playing after high school,” Sheldon said. “You can find a session going on nearly anywhere in the world.”