Homecoming revamp

LT redesigns homecoming due to lack of attendance at school dances in recent years

Lea Voytovich, Assistant News Editor

Due to decreasing attendance at recent school dances, students can expect a completely new homecoming experience this year. Student Council is working to reinvent the typical high school dance scene.

“Homecoming is almost guaranteed to be a new experience for everyone this year, not just the freshmen,” Director of Student Council Peter Geddeis said. “The goal is to revitalize this year’s dance and all future dances.”

In order to achieve the goal, Student Council is not reusing any part of the dance design from previous years, according to Geddeis. After extensive planning with Boom Entertainment, the suppliers of  over the summer, Student Council decided on Monte Carlo as the theme. Although the details have not yet been finalized.

“It will be a completely different experience than any other dance at LT,” Student Council President Nick J. Fuentes ’16 said. “Although the design is going to be a surprise, I can tell you it will be classy, sophisticated and Vegas baby!”

Fuentes is a fan of the theme and he said the dance will not be corny or cheesy this year as compared to some of those in the recent years.

The dance will be held Saturday, Sept. 26 in the SC fieldhouse. Tickets will still be $15 in advance and $25 at the door and for any non LT students. In addition, the Homecoming Parade and Variety Show remain relatively the same while the pep-rally will be reconstructed. According to Geddeis, the pep-rally festivities will also be planned from scratch.

Although there will no longer be a KOH dance, that the homecoming budget will not be affected Geddeis said. It will stay around the same as last year– $33,045.69.

In regards to KOH, Student Council is looking to plan another type of social event with the help of Boom. Nothing is planned yet, but said to Geddeis, something will take place in late winter or early spring.

“Student Council is moving away from a formal dance. We want to make it more of a party than homecoming,” Fuentes said. “It will be less formal, more loose, and more of a free atmosphere– completely different than homecoming.”

Geddeis encourages anyone that wants to share their ideas to come to any Student Council meeting on Wednesdays at 6:30 in the South Campus study hall room.

“It’s ultimately up to the students to turn our school events around,” Geddeis said.