Speech team succeeds early

Despite loss of state competitors, veterans lead large team to opening victory

Michael Rasmussen, Website Editor

In the words of captain Steven Vogel ‘15, Speech Team has entered a “renaissance.”

Six years ago, the floundering team had around five or six students, but, as of late, the group has expanded to a robust 52 competitors. With talent from top to bottom, the team expects immediate success from its top varsity speakers and continued development from its less-experienced students.

At a 30-team tournament hosted at Downers Grove North on Nov. 1, five LT competitors placed in their respective events: Melissa Fuentes ‘16, Nick Fuentes ‘16, Gita Golonzka ‘16, Anna Mlynzki ’16 and Vogel. English teacher and Assistant Coach Christopher Bass noted that this competition is one of the most competitive of the year, and that the team’s achievements at DGN may be an accurate predictor of success later in the season.

Even after the departure of last year’s state placers Claire Meyer ‘14 and Jack McDermott ‘14, the future shines brightly on the team.

“There are more first-year members than varsity members at this point,” captain Melissa Fuentes said. “We really want to build up their skills and keep them interested so that when the [upperclassmen] graduate, we’ll still have a strong team.”

Prose event leader Danielle Severs ‘16 said that the more experienced students frequently run practices and provide “moral support” to the younger students — new competitors often ask questions in-person or through text-messaging, to help overcome the initial difficulties of competitive public speaking.

“[It’s] the idea that I can I work very hard on my speech throughout the season and have it payoff repeatedly,”

— Steven Vogel

Unlike activities such as Congressional Debate or Model U.N, most students give the same speech in both their first and final competitions. However, the speakers refine their syntax and ideas to polish their pieces as the season goes along. According to Vogel, that element of gradual perfection makes the competition satisfying.

“[It’s] the idea that I can I work very hard on my speech throughout the season and have it payoff repeatedly,” Vogel said. “And [my teammates] are often theater kids who are also doing other performing events so this is [a great] outlet for competition.”

Bass said that witnessing a student refine his speech and craft over a long period of time makes his job as a coach and teacher much more rewarding.

“It’s really impressive when it all comes together in the end,” Bass said

Although the team did not place in the top five at the Thornton Turkey Tournament on Nov. 22, LT’s individual competitors enjoyed success. Melissa Fuentes placed fifth in informative speaking, while Mlynski placed third in the same event, and Deirdre Sheldon ‘15 took sixth in Original Comedy.

The team competes at the Cary Grove tournament this Saturday, Dec. 6, followed by the Naperville Tournament of Roses on Dec. 13.