Construction progresses

Despite mishaps, construction predicted to proceed as scheduled

Joe Okkema, News Editor

LT students and staff were confronted with an unexpected development in the NC courtyard the week of Oct. 1, as the four recently erected wall columns of the cafeteria were partially demolished by construction crews.

“As far as we’ve been told, these developments will not delay further construction,” Associate Principal Kevin Brown said.

The columns, completed the week of Sept. 22, had to be partially reconstructed after contractors discovered that a mistake had been made in the masonry regarding the position of a light fixture.

The general contracting company, Henry Brothers Construction Incorporated ordered the repairs to the columns, and as such, no additional cost will be incurred by the school.

“From what we’re being told, someone simply made a mistake,” Brown said. “Obviously, that mistake has been quickly corrected.”

As masons repaired the columns, construction underneath the south wing of the building continued unhindered, with steel being brought in to begin the construction of the frame of the cafeteria, Brown said.

Similar unforeseen incidents regarding construction have had to be resolved throughout the past few weeks.

Construction fumes

Two NC second floor science classrooms were unavailable for use after it was discovered that fumes from construction equipment were leaking into the rooms through the ventilation system. The fumes entered the classrooms through several air ducts in the basement that were exposed when the old cafeteria was removed.

The classes that used these rooms were temporarily relocated, and the ducts were promptly sealed with concrete, Superintendent Dr. Timothy Kilrea said.

After testing to ensure that no fumes remained, the classrooms were reopened and are currently in use.

“From the beginning of the project, we have expected some minor problems, but we’ve sought to minimize these as best as possible,” Kilrea said.

The unforeseen need to relocate several counseling offices has also been a difficulty the administration encountered.

“While it is unfortunate, our students and staff have been very understanding,” Kilrea said. “We have been able to relocate instructional spaces and offices and work around disruptions to the best of our abilities.”

What has been most impressive throughout the year has been the student body’s ability to adapt to the changes construction has brought about, Brown said.

“Obviously the situation is not ideal, but I think that students have made the most out of it and not let it get to them,” Brown said.

Construction is set to be completed sometime in March.

“It’s encouraging to see tangible results of the project every day in the courtyard,” Kilrea said. “The new facilities will be excellent additional resources for our students, staff and communities.”