Veterans Elected as Homecoming Grand Marshals

Dante Stefanini, Multimedia Editor

As the homecoming festivities approach their climax, the parade, football game and dance are to take place this Saturday. Leading the parade will be veterans and homecoming grand marshals Rich Vachata and Keith Bailey.

The naming of grand marshals was decided by this year’s student council supervised by Director of Student Activities, Peter Geddeis. The decision to elect two veterans as the grand marshals was unanimous, Geddeis said. The grand marshals lead the parade, as well as the homecoming court during the pep rally. They also crown the homecoming queen.

“The idea to appoint two veterans as the grand marshals was brought up by Mike Yelovich ‘15,” Geddeis said. “We thought it was great idea to honor two veterans because of this year’s theme, [America].”

Vachata began working as a security guard at LT in 1995. Vachata has served an eight-year term in the U.S. Army, including two active years where he was stationed in Ascom, South Korea. Vachata was unaware during his time in the Army that he would gain much from his service, let alone become a homecoming grand marshal.

“When I was in the service I didn’t expect to gain much from it, but now I’m a member of the American legion,” Vachata said. “When you’re in the service you don’t really like it, but I did enjoy my tour of duty overseas.”

Vachata’s connection to LT goes back to the seventies; his son was a four-year MVP gymnast while his daughter was a gymnast and member of the debate team. His son actually met his wife at LT, and they have been married for 25 years.

Keith Bailey is a Social Studies teacher at South Campus, and primarily teaches AP European History. Bailey served as a military policeman in the U.S Army for three years where he was stationed in Fort Riley Kansas, as well as Germany for a NATO Conference.

“It’s truly an honor, to be a part of the LT community for the past 20 years has been a blessing,” Bailey said. “I’m humbled at the fact that I was chosen out of all the faculty members.”