Jury Finds John Wilson Jr. Guilty

Jury reaches verdict after two hours of deliberation

Jury+Finds+John+Wilson+Jr.+Guilty+

Britanny Grosser-Basille, News Editor

The Kelli O’Laughlin trial ended on Sept. 15 when the jury concluded with a guilty verdict for John Wilson Jr.

The trial for her murder officially began with the jury selection at Bridgeview Courthouse on Sept. 2, about three years after her murder on Oct. 27, 2011. Sentencing will occur next month.

“It’s like you’re reliving everything,” mother Brenda O’Laughlin said in an exclusive interview with LION on Sept. 13. “To relive that particular day again has been very difficult.”

Following jury selection, each side made their opening statements. Defense attorney John Paul Carroll alleged that O’Laughlin had committed suicide.

“I couldn’t let what he said get me angry because I knew it wasn’t true, so I just took it with a grain of salt,” Brenda said.

This theory was dismissed when the medical examiner showed the autopsy photos in court on Sept. 11. There were 12 photos displayed on large screens, showing eight stab wounds on Kelli’s chest, neck and back. The judge had said those who could not keep their emotions in check during that part of the trial should leave the courtroom, ABC-7 reported. Brenda stayed during this time.

“It was important for me to be in the room and be there for Kelli,” Brenda said. “I found her. I really wanted to know what really happened to her.”

Around 500 pieces of evidence were collected by the prosecution, including the red hat that had a rock in it and was used to break through a window to enter the O’Laughlins’ house. A DNA test confirmed the hat carried Wilson’s DNA. Another strong piece of evidence were the records that tracked Wilson’s and Kelli’s cell phones.

“He broke into our house and was stealing our stuff, but he didn’t have to stab Kelli to death,” father John O’Laughlin said during LION’s interview on Sept. 13. “He could’ve just run away.”

Also shown in court were the texts sent to Brenda from Kelli’s stolen cell phone, with one of the texts reading:   “She wanted me to tell you something before I killed her,” ABC-7 reported.

“Not only do we deal with our own feelings, but we see other people’s reactions to the different things that we’ve known about for years, like the text messages,” John said. “It’s awful.”

During the course of the trial, nearly 50 people testified for the state, including Kelli’s friend Elyse Campion ‘15.

“Having to testify was extremely hard, but the attorney was really nice and just said to look at him the whole time like a conversation,” Campion said. “He made the experience better.”

The O’Laughlins are grateful for Campion’s bravery.

“It’s not right for a 17-year-old to have to testify at a murder trial for her friend,” John said.

Throughout the trial, other students and members of the community have gone to watch.

“I wanted to go because I felt I needed to do that and also pay respect to the O’Laughlins,” Annie LeFevour ‘15 said. “It wasn’t as bad as I thought, considering I had my parents and my friends’ parents there to support me. The whole thing didn’t seem real but deep down I know I had to be there.”

Despite all of the sadness, the O’Laughlins are still spreading Kelli’s joy.

“What we really are focused on is the legacy: how she’s remembered with the foundation, the scholarships and the good stuff in her name,” John said. “We don’t really consider this trial a good thing; it’s just something we have to go through.”

An upcoming event for Kelli includes the third annual Run for Kelli on Nov. 16. Also, pop tops are  being collected in Kelli’s name for the Ronald McDonald House. Once 790 pounds, or one million pop tops, are collected, a plaque will be dedicated to Kelli. Information about Kelli’s memorial fund and events can be found on kjofund.com.

“We thank [the students] for their kind words of support and being friends with us,” Brenda said. “It’s meant a lot to us throughout this time. We know it’s been rough on them just like it’s been rough on us.”